Thursday, January 10, 2008

Something a little more lighthearted...

Perhaps my humor is mostly in the delivery and loses a bit of something in print, but my comment about wanting at least two people was my way of trying to get more people to read this thing. I type excruciatingly slow, so if the only ones reading this are named Jones or Cooley, I can just do that in person and save myself all kinds of time!

However, since Ms. Myers-Cooley caught me in a technicality, I will honor my bargain with some more lighthearted fare. Here is a list of my favorite bands that almost no one else has ever heard of. I have ranked them from 1 (Stop what you're doing right now, even if you're giving birth and go download as much as you possibly can right now) through 10 (Make sure you hear them before the day is out.)...

1. Off Kilter - Perhaps the only rock band in the history of man to feature a bagpipe player
2. The Saw Doctors - Lost the battle of the bands some 20+ years ago to U2. Not as marketable as Bono, but far more fun and talented
3. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Simply the best Indy band of all time
4. Gov't Mule - One of the few blues-rock bands still hangin' on
5. The Fratelli's - They defy description - go find them!
6. Goldfinger - Their last few albums have been a bit weak and preachy, but the return of their original guitarist has already turned the clock back 10 years
7. Brad Paisley - If you listen to country, you definitely know who he is, but if not, listen to "Ticks" online somewhere - brilliant!
8. Me First and the Gimme Gimme's - A punk cover band that's not eve a real band!?
9. Wolfmother - a weird Led Zepplin/Black Sabath hybrid from Australia
10. Army of Anyone - the least well known of the mix and match bands like Velvet Revolver or Audioslave, but this one features the singer from Fuel and what's left of the Stone Temple Pilots

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Like the posting... and I have a message from mark because he says he doesn't blog... mostly because he is on the computer all day... but he said to tell you that wolfmother sucks!!!!
again that was from Mark not me...

as for me... the only name on that list I knew was Brad Paisley.. and I do like him!
p.s. Marks afraid that you will disown him now because of that comment which is good becuase now that puts me back in since now I check on the steven colbert sight pretty frequently... thanks =)